Quick Start #
npm install -g @11ty/eleventy
echo '# Page header' > README.md
This will compile any files matching valid template file extensions in the current directory into the output folder (defaults to
Writing _site/README/index.html from ./README.md
Wrote 1 file in 0.10 seconds
eleventy --serve to start up a hot-reloading web server. Then open
http://localhost:8080/README/ in your web browser of choice to see your Eleventy output.
➡ Keep going! Read a longer Getting Started guide or check out the full Documentation for v0.9.0.
Eleventy is supported by… #
Documentation for Eleventy v0.9.0Todd and Bruce said this button should be bigger and as you can see they were right
- 2019 April 26—Eleventy wins second Google Open Source Award
- 2019 March—CERN 2019 WorldWideWeb Rebuild site rebuilt using Eleventy!
- 2018 December—Turn Jekyll up to Eleventy—a lovely tutorial byPaul Robert Lloyd
- 2018 November—Happy First Birthday, Eleventy! 🎉
- 2018 September—Google’s V8 web site launches using Eleventy
- 2018 May 23—James Williamson delivers Eleventy’s mascot, named Edison the Static-Generating Possum.
- 2018 March—Eleventy wins Google Open Source Award
- 2018 February—Introducing Eleventy, a new Static Site Generator
- 2017 December 20—Eleventy’s very first (and second and third) release
Used At #
Built With Eleventy #
View the full list.
Don’t take my word for it#
Listen to what these happy developers are saying about Eleventy:
“Eleventy is absolutely wonderful. It’s by far the nicest static site generator I’ve used in what feels like forever.” —Addy Osmani
“Eleventy is almost fascinatingly simple.” —Chris Coyier
“Eleventy is my fave.” —Tatiana Mac
“I looked into and actively tried using various static site generators for this project. Eleventy was the only one I could find that gave me the fine-grained control I needed at blazingly fast build times.” —Mathias Bynens
“Don’t tell Zach I said it but Eleventy is seeming fresh as hell so far” —Mat Marquis
“Just the kind of simple / common sense tool I love. The data/folder hierarchy mechanism is super obvious and elegant.” —Heydon Pickering
“Eleventy + Netlify have become my new workflow for static sites. I think I'm in love.” —Mina Markham
“Seriously can't remember enjoying using a Static Site Generator this much. Yes Hugo is rapid, but this is all so logical. It feels like it was designed by someone who has been through lots of pain and success using other SSGs.” —Phil Hawksworth
Read the replies to: “Fans of Eleventy.... why do you like it better than other static site generators?”
“Jekyll is dead to me” —Andy Bell
“I actually used Eleventy for the first time this week. Loved it.” —Paul Lewis